A law degree without a career utilizing the knowledge you’ve gained is like an oil painting – it looks nice on your wall, but that’s about it. What was all the time and effort (and money) for if not to pursue your dream job, to have a career enacting change in your community, state, country, or the world? To achieve those goals, you’ll likely need some help along the way. While you may not have thought about it when initially weighing your law school options, you will see the importance of a functional and responsive Career Development Office as soon as you begin your law school journey. Our job is to help set you up for – and support you during – a long and successful career, so knowing what services are provided may influence your decision to attend one law school over another. Here are five ways that the McGeorge CDO works with students and alumni to accelerate their careers:
- Individualized Counseling. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to career counseling. Instead, our CDO advisors individually meet with every single 1L during your first semester at McGeorge. We’ll get to know you, your interests, your passions, and what your personal goals are. Whether you know exactly what you want to do for a career or if you have no idea, we will help create a customized plan to put you in the best position to succeed.
- Application Review. Send us your resume and cover letter to receive feedback on perfecting your application documents. Don’t overshadow your accomplishments with distracting colors, typos, or a disorganized layout.
- Lifetime Career Services. Looking for your first internship? Applying to a post-grad position? Wanting to change careers after serving a decade in your current role? We are here for you!
- Experience. Our career advisors have a wealth of experience to share. From public sector to solo practice, litigation to legal tech, we know what employers look for in candidates and how to navigate the legal job market because we’ve been there.
- Networking. One of the services available through the CDO is access to our extensive Alumni Advisor Network. Whatever your career goals are and wherever they may take you, we maintain a vast network of McGeorge alumni who want to help the current generation of law students pursue their dreams. In addition to this network, we also have close connections with employers throughout California and across the country.
A law school is only as good as its students, and the CDO is here to make sure our students are set up for success. It’s never too early to start planning your career or too late to make a change, so come chat with us today!